Mathematical Experiences (Due Thur at 2pm) -
- Work on the answers to the following questions
in a word processor and save the file often.
When you are finished, print this to turn it in.
Note: grammar and spelling are important.
- You are probably taking this course
as part of a general education requirement. All students must
satisfy a math requirement, although they might choose from
a number of very different courses to do so.
With this in mind, what skills central
to your intellectual development do you think
society expects you to take away from a college level mathematics course?
- What do you think mathematics is (ie use your own ideas
to define mathematics)?
- Name a mathematical experience you had that was
rewarding for you.
- Think back to the first mathematical experience you had that
was destructive to your mathematical self-confidence. (We have
all had such experiences - even Dr. Sarah!)
Describe this experience.
- In the last question, you explored a negative
If you could rewrite your role in that experience in order to prevent it
from being destructive to your mathematical self-confidence
what would you change about your behavior and reactions?